Wednesday, March 31, 2010

been having a really bad few days...

well lets start from the beginning of this flare...  I got a cold last thursday which turned into bronchitis.  I got started on antibiotics tuesday for 5 days and was told to wait on my Cimzia shot until i felt better or was off the antibiotics, so to be on the safe side i started the Cimzia Saturday. I also started for the first time mtx Saturday.  Well my stomach got really upset sat from the mtx (i think?) and also from being in a lot of pain (i think?).  Sunday wasn't a good day at all.  I barely got out of bed.  Actually i only got out of bed to go to the bathroom and to get some water, i had almost no appetite.  Monday wasn't really any better so i emailed my doctor to ask what he recommended because i had tried everything i could think of to work better, and even my pain meds weren't taking the pain away, they were just barely taking the edge off. He said to take 40mg of prednisone, so i did.

On monday i had to cook some food, because we are jewish and we were having 17 other people (makes a total of 20 counting my mom, dad and I) coming over for a passover seder, and basically only i can cook some of the food (if anyone else tries no one else wants to eat it).  So i would cook a little bit, then go lay down, but it hurt when i laid down because all my joints were hurting especially my shoulders, which in the past i have never had problems with.  I got though cooking dinner and then i excused my self from the seder and hid in my room for almost the entire night.. i came out for dinner and ended up only eating some chicken soup.  The noise from all the people was just to overwhelming while i was feeling so bad.  

after all the people left i went to take a burning hot bath to see if  i could relax enough that it would help my joints not hurt as bad.  Well my hips felt better when i got out of the hot tub, but then i realized i had another problem.  I could not put my own shit on it hurt to bad.  My mom ended up having to put my shirt on for me because i could not lift my arms at all above the height of my shoulders let alone over my head.  It was really hard for me to ask for help because i was embarrassed to admit that at 18 i could not dress myself.  but i knew that if i did not ask i was going to wind up on the floor crying in pain.  Thankfully my mom was really understanding and helped me put my tank top on in a way that i didn't have to move my arms and without touching me in anyway.  well nothing was getting better that evening, if anything it was getting worse.  i could not get up to go to the bathroom without being in tears and hurting a ton.  So i emailed my doctor and asked him what he would do. 

Well he emailed back saying to come in if i wasn't feeling better.  So my mom called as soon as i read the email tuesday morning and ended up getting an appt right away.  When i got to the office he saw how bad i was hurting.  I think anyone could have figured out i was in extreme pain.  He ended up deciding to inject my shoulders with cortisone since i couldn't move my shoulders at all.  Even he said that it should not have gotten that bad this fast.  So now im not exactly sure what is going on. 

My best guess would be that i had a flare that was trying to start up but since i was on the cimzia it was keeping it at bay, but as soon as i had to wait 5 days to do the cimzia, the antibodies built up and took over putting me into a flare from hell.  So now i have to work on getting this back under control and keeping it under control.

1 comment:

Megan G said...

Oh, Hanah. Thank you for sharing this post - I had tears in my eyes as I read it, as that was me when I was 16 with JRA and I couldn't do my own hair - my mom had to do it for me. I understand the crippling pain of a flare and how hard it is to be a teenager with JRA. I was diagnosed in 1991 when I was 16. I'm now almost 35 with 2 kids and a somewhat normal life (except for the meds, injections, flares and fatigue). Good for you for starting your blog now - it helps to connect to the world of RA bloggers and find support. I look forward to reading more.